The Mission board of the Free Church – generation-mission.org – organises a monthly prayer schedule for the congregations across our denomination for each week of each month we are asked to pray for specific congregations and their various needs and thanksgivings. We will try and keep you updated on our website of the congregations to be praying for each week. For week beginning 26th Sept your congregations to remember before the Lord are:
Sleath & Strath – Minister: Gordon Matheson
Sleat & Strath are the two districts that make up everything south of the Cuillin Hills on the Isle of Skye. Our community is mostly made up of scattered “post-crofting” villages, with a hub in Broadford.
- Please pray for deepening discipleship and commitment. The congregation’s core has been strengthened through the pandemic, but as we move back to in-person services and events we are struggling to reconnect with people outside that group. We need to be disciple-making more than ever, and we need new disciples to rapidly step up their commitment to the whole life of the church.
- Please pray for our community, and our love for it. There are great social and economic needs, common to areas of relative rural deprivation, which we have tried to help address, but find challenging to continue with an aging congregation.. But there is a profound spiritual need – and we need to find ways to faithful bring the Good News into this darkness.
Lochgilphead – Interim Moderator: Rodger Crooks
Lochgilphead Free Church is a small congregation in mid-Argyll, which has had no minister for several years. At the start of May 2021, Rodger Crooks came to be part-time Resident Supply.
- Pray that we will develop a church culture along the lines of Acts 2:41-47 that enables us to be a healthy gospel church for our community.
- The church building has been out of use for several years. We have plans to bring it back into use in order to have space for worship and outreach. Pray that the Lord would “make us glad … for as many years as we have seen trouble” (Psalm 90:15) and that “the favour of the Lord would rest upon us to establish the work of our hands” (Psalm 90:17), providing us with the good architectural advice, the required finances and the skilled builders we need to forward our plans.
Raasay – Interim Moderator: Marcos Florit
Raasay is a small island close to Skye. There is a population of about 145. There are two main churches here, Free Presbyterian and Free Church.
- Pray for the leadership of the congregation as they serve the church and make future plans.
- Pray that the congregation would continue to be a good witness to the surrounding community and that people on the island would come to know Jesus as their Saviour.
Here are all the congregations we will be focusing on for prayer across the month of September